2021 JPF Grant recipient Central Texas Food Bank runs a hybrid online/in-person culinary training program, offering greater flexibility for students to complete the training program. All participants receive a tablet and free access to lessons and coursework through Rouxbe, an online culinary program.
Two days a week, students participate in-person, gaining valuable hands-on classroom time learning basic culinary skills.
I grew up learning how to make shrimp fried rice from my parents and grandparents. Chinese families always have leftover rice in their refrigerator and here, I’m rewarming the rice in the microwave. It’s a great trick I learned from Din Tai Fung, a restaurant in Beijing. Because I love the juxtaposition of hot and cold, I’ve put a bit of a twist on this and added a spicy cucumber salad.
For the Shrimp Fried Rice
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Grapeseed oil
- 3 eggs, scrambled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toasted sesame oil, to taste
- 1 bunch of scallions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½-1 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small dice
- 2 cups power greens, spinach, watercress, or any greens
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Microwave the cooked rice until warmed through. Set aside.
- Line a plate with paper towels. In a small bowl, whip the eggs until well blended; season with salt, pepper and sesame oil.
- Heat a large wok over high heat; add enough oil to coat the surface heavily, and heat until almost smoking. Pour the eggs into the wok and stir vigorously until puffed and cooked through. Remove from the wok and drain on paper towels. In the same wok, add more oil and the scallions, and sauté for one minute. Add the garlic, bell peppers, salt and pepper, and sauté for two minutes. Add the shrimp and sauté until they are just becoming opaque and pink, about 2 minutes. Add the greens and hot rice, mixing well. Return the eggs to the wok, season with salt, pepper, and tamari, stirring until combined and heated through.
For the Cucumber Salad
- ½ English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon Lao Gan Ma Spicy Chili Crisp, or your favorite hot sauce
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the chili sauce, tamari, and vinegar. Add the cucumbers and toss.
- Transfer the fried rice to a platter or bowl, spoon the cucumber salad on top and serve immediately. Bon Appetit!!
This recipe presented by